Carol Grimes - vocals
Steve Lodder - piano
Deirdre Cartwright – guitar
Alison Rayner – bass
TBA – drums
'Wild, declamatory soulfulness' John Fordham The Guardian
Carol Grimes is a towering presence in the UK music scene; from busking in the streets as a teenager to touring internationally with the contemporary classical group The Shout. Her first Band, The Race, was a Blues Band, Blues being the first love. After having her first child, she joined the Jazz-Rock blues Band Delivery with Blues and Jazz Musicians, Steve and Phil Miller, Lol Coxhill and Roy Babbington.
Two solo albums, Nashville and in Memphis exploring roots and folk music then Soul and R & B. Blues led naturally to Jazz, and several albums were recorded through the 1980/90/the 00s.
It is safe to say Carol is a truly genre-busting artist. Having turned to jazz and blues, her music embraces drama and love.
COVID INFORMATION FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government has relaxed its Covid restrictions the Vortex continues to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms.
- We also ask audience members to do a lateral flow test on the day of the gig and only attend if it's negative. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll issue a refund.
- If you would like to sit by friends who have bought separate tickets, please email the club with details and we will make every effort to accommodate.
- We are cashless. We only accept cards for purchases at the bar (except American Express).
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.