Leo Richardson - tenor saxophone
Rick Simpson - piano
Conor Chaplin - bass
Darren Beckett - drums
Without a doubt, Leo Richardson is widely recognised to be one of the UK's leading Jazz Tenor Saxophonists, best known for his honest, straight-ahead, contemporary hard-bop style. The Leo Richardson Quartet packs a punch, performing exciting and intense music heavily influenced by the hard-bop era.
In 2017, The Leo Richardson Quartet toured the UK in November-December, in support of their debut album, The Chase, on Ubuntu Music. The album was selected by The Times newspaper as one of the Top 10 Jazz Albums of 2017 and one of the Top 100 Albums of all music genres. The Chase was the first album to receive 5* from The Sunday Guardian/Observer. The success of the album and the tour led to the Quartet’s debut performance at the 2018 Love Supreme Jazz Festival. The Leo Richardson Quartet released their second album Move in 2019 to critical acclaim, receiving 5* in BBC Music Magazine.
Tonight, the Leo Richardson Quartet will be performing select pieces from their most recent record "Move" along with new material created during the lockdown.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.