Shirley Smart - cello
Tim Quicke - trumpet
James Arben - tenor sax/flute
John Crawford - piano
Michele Montoli - bass
Demi Garcia Sabat - drums/percussion
Acknowledged as one of the UK’s most versatile and creative cellists, trailblazing cellist and composer Shirley Smart brings her new sextet project to this years London Jazz Festival.
Drawing on a background of 10 years living in Jerusalem and working with the overlapping worlds of jazz, Arabic, Turkish and North African music, Shirley is equally at home and well versed in all these traditions, and her music draws upon this rich tapestry of influences to create an evening of vibrant melodies, grooves, swing and lively improvisation. Showcasing her unique ability to explore the potential of the cello in a jazz context, performing multiple roles as bassist, lead and soloist on the instrument, and featuring also some of the UK's leading lights in world-influenced jazz - John Crawford (Ola Onabule) on piano, James (Mulatu Astatke, Hackney Colliery Band, Heliocentrics) on sax/flute, Tim Quicke (Lousie Balkwill, Giles Thornton) on trumpet and Michele Montoli (Alina Bzhezhinska) on bass and Demi Garcia Sabat (John Dankworth, Nicolas Meier) on drums this dynamic group promises an evening of inspired music-making.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government is relaxing its Covid restrictions on July 19th 2021 the Vortex will continue to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll give you a voucher for another gig.
- We will ask you on entry to sign in for NHS Test and Trace either using the NHS Covid app or manually
- There will be no standing at gigs. Everyone who books a ticket will be allocated a seat, but we cannot guarantee that you will have a table.
- Orders for drinks and snacks will be taken and paid for using the Butlr app which you can download on arrival. (If you do not have a smartphone then your order will be taken at the table and you can make a contactless payment. We do not accept cash.)
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building and we encourage regular use of hand sanitiser.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.