Steve Noble - Drums
Oren Marshall - Tuba
Steve Buckley - Alto Saxophone
Three giants of the UK jazz and improvised music scene reunite after a break of twenty five years to present their unique brand of freewheeling musical adventure, highly improvised but firmly rooted in jazz and world music.
Steve Noble is one of London's leading drummers, a fearless and constantly inventive improviser whose super-precise, ultra-propulsive and hyper-detailed playing has galvanized encounters with Derek Bailey, Peter Brotzmann, Matthew Shipp, Alex Maguire Stephen O'Malley, Joe McPhee, Alex Ward, Rhodri Davies, John Edwards and many, many more.
Oren Marshall is a pioneering player of acoustic and electric tuba who, crossing between classical - jazz - improvised - world music, has collaborated with the likes of Bobby Mcferrin, Derek Bailey, Radiohead, Sir Peter Maxwell Davies, Moondog, Charlie Haden, the Pan-African Orchestra and the London Philharmonic.
Steve Buckley first came to prominence in the 1980's as one of the featured young sax players in the now legendary, and hugely influential, band Loose Tubes, establishing a well deserved reputation as a fluent and highly creative improviser with a unique and distinctive voice. He has since worked with such luminaries as Django Bates, Myra Melford, Jim Black, Mark Sanders, Huw Warren and Kit Downes to name but a few. His long time association with trumpeter Chris Batchelor produced bands such as the highly acclaimed Big Air, and more recently Zone B.
COVID INFORMATION FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the Vortex. Although the government has relaxed its Covid restrictions the Vortex continues to operate measures to protect users of the premises.
Please note the following:
- We ask you not to attend gigs if you have or think you may have any Covid-19 symptoms.
- We also ask audience members to do a lateral flow test on the day of the gig and only attend if it's negative. If you can’t make a gig because you have to self-isolate then just get in touch by filling out this form and we’ll issue a refund.
- If you would like to sit by friends who have bought separate tickets, please email the club with details and we will make every effort to accommodate.
- We are cashless. We only accept cards for purchases at the bar (except American Express).
- We ask that everyone wears a mask when moving around inside the building.
- Automatic hand sanitiser stations are provided at various places within the building.
- Full details of the measures that we are taking to prevent transmission of Covid are set out in our risk assessment and management plan which can be found on our website.